Can you guess how many languages are indigenous to this country?
We discovered some amazing things, not lastly you'll NEVER guess what Irish and Spanish bears have in common!
You'll be surprised to find that more than 2 million people in the UK speak British languages other than English. Here is a quick summary of the bigger groups of languages spoken in the UK - not just British languages, but also the immigrant languages most popular in the UK today, for example Polish, Gujarati and Urdu.
Listen to our podcast episode to get a wonderful tour of the British languages, including:
- What does it take to keep a minority language alive?
- Did you know there was a Scots dictionary - and how it's influenced the English language?
- Our pondering of the true official languages of Great Britain
- Turns out children really are the future when it comes to reviving languages that don't have native speakers anymore, for example Cornish
Lindsay does some amazing demonstrations of the Scottish language and accent. And Kerstin says her first "goodbye" in Welsh!
Links and Tips from This Episode
Which British Languages Did You Know?
You can get in touch with us and tell us what you thought by
1) leaving us an iTunes review by visiting our itunes page and clicking "Ratings and Reviews"
2) using hashtag #cllp on Twitter (I am @kerstinhammes and Lindsay is @ldlanguages.
And once again, thanks so much to our sponsors Italki - please support our show by visiting that link today.